Smoked Gouda Pork Burgers with Caramelized Sriracha Onions and Potato Wedges
Let kids help with tasks like seasoning the potatoes, shaping the pork patties, and assembling the finished burgers.
- 2 Onions
- 1 Lime
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 4 Potato Buns
- 24 Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 Smoked Paprika
- 2 Sriracha
- 20 Ground Pork
- 4 Slices Gouda Cheese
- 4 Mayonnaise
- 4 Sour Cream
- 4 Olive Oil
- 3 Butter
- 1½ Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat and Prep: Wash and dry all produce. Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 450°F. Halve, peel, and thinly slice onions. Mince a few slices until you have ¼ cup. Zest 1 tsp. zest from lime, then cut into quarters. Grate garlic. Split buns in half. Cut potatoes into ½-inch-thick wedges.
- Roast Potatoes: Toss potatoes on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil, half the paprika, and a large pinch of salt and pepper. Roast in oven until tender and browned, about 20 minutes.
- Cook Onions: Meanwhile, melt 2 TBSP. butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add sliced onions, ½ tsp sugar, and a pinch of salt. Cook, tossing occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, 10-15 minutes. (Tip: Lower heat and add a splash of water if onions start to burn.) Stir in Sriracha (to taste) and a squeeze of lime juice. Remove pan from heat.
- Cook Patties: While onions cook, in a large bowl, mix pork, minced onions, half the garlic, remaining paprika, 1 tsp sugar, and a few big pinches of salt. Shape mixture into four patties slightly wider than the buns. Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add patties and cook 7 minutes more on other side, then top each with a slice of Gouda. Cook until patties reach desired doneness.
- Toast Buns and Mix Sauce: Remove patties from pan and set aside. Working in batches, add buns cut-side down to same pan over medium heat (only add as many as will fit at one time). Toast until golden, about 1 minute. In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, sour cream, lime zest, a squeeze of lime juice, and a pinch of remaining garlic (use more to taste). Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble Burgers: Spread as much of the sauce as you like onto bottom halves of buns. Then fill buns with patties and onions. Divide burgers and potatoes between plates. Serve with any remaining sauce on the side for dipping.
Sriracha Onions-sauteed until they’re soft and jammy, then seasoned with a kick of hot sauce.