Apple Carrot Slaw
This is a light, tangy, highly seasoned slaw made with cabbage and a homemade spice blend.
Home Spice Mix Ingredients:
- ¼ cup coriander seeds
- ¼ cup cumin seeds
- ¼ cup mustard seeds
Home Spice Mix Instructions:
- In a small skillet, combine the coriander seeds, cumin seeds and 2 tablespoons of the mustard seeds. Toast over moderately high heat, shaking the pan, until the seeds are fragrant and lightly colored, about 2 minutes. Transfer the seeds to a plate.
- When the toasted seeds have cooled, transfer them to a spice grinder and grind to a coarse powder, and then stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of whole mustard seeds.
- 3 large Granny Smith apples
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 two pound head savoy cabbage , halved, cored and shredded
- 6 large carrots, cut into thin matchstick strips
- 12 large scallions, minced
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon apple juice
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Home Spice Mix
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Thinly slice the apples. Cut the apple slices into matchstick strips and transfer them to a glass or stainless-steel bowl. Add the lemon juice to the apples and toss well. Add the cabbage, carrots, scallions and parsley.
- In a medium glass or stainless steel bowl, whisk together the apple juice, vinegar, oil, spice mix, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the apple slaw and toss well. Serve the slaw at room temperature or chilled.