Asparagus and Swiss Cheese Frittata made with Spring asparagus, shallots and Swiss cheese – a delicious combination perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
- 1/2 lb asparagus, tough ends trimmed off
- 1/2 cup shallots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites*, (1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp fresh grated Pecorino Romano
- 3 oz part-skim Swiss cheese
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Steam asparagus crisp and tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Thinly slice on the diagonal into ½-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Heat butter in a 10-inch oven safe skillet over medium heat. Stir in shallots and sauté until golden, about 4-5 minutes. Add steamed asparagus, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, egg whites, grated cheese, salt and pepper. Add the Swiss cheese and mix well.
- Add eggs to the skillet making sure eggs cover the asparagus. Cook on medium for about 4 minutes, until the edges begin to set.
- Move the skillet to oven. Cook about 16 to 18 minutes, or until frittata is completely cooked.
- Serve hot, cut into 4 equal wedges.