Gnocchi di Patate (Italian Potato Dumplings)
A delicious gnocchi recipe the whole family will love!
- 2 ½ pound Idaho potatoes
- 1 ½ pound all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon self-rising flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Scrub potatoes. Place in a 6-quart pot of water and boil until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain water from potatoes, and then cool in pot. Peel and rice potatoes. (Use a ricer. Do not use a food processor). Cool at least 30 minutes.
- Make a well with the rice potatoes. Add eggs, salt, self-rising flour and half of the all-purpose flour to the middle of the well. Slowly combine the eggs and flour with the potatoes to make dough. Work dough with the palms of your hands. Add remaining flour, only if needed. Dough should be smooth but not sticky.
- Cut dough into five equal pieces. On a floured surface, use your palms to roll each piece into a long tube. Use a dough cutter to cut each tube into 1-inch long pieces. Dust each gnocchi with flour and place on gnocchi maker or you can use a dinner fork to put line marks (fork lines) on the gnocchi. This is optional.
- Roll each piece, pressing with your thumb to give it the classic shape. Bring a 5-quart pot of salted water to a boil. Cook gnocchi for 4 to 5 minutes. (Once the gnocchi come to the surface of the water, let them cook 1 more minute and them remove with a slotted spoon to a platter). Toss gnocchi with favorite sauce and serve.