One-Bowl Blueberry Ricotta Breakfast Cake
A quick and easy spin on a classic recipe!
- ¾ cup whole-milk ricotta cheese, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup oatmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, picked over
Optional Streusel Topping: (or dust with powdered sugar)
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup oatmeal
- Chop the butter, then use your fingers to work in a mixture of the sugar, flour and oatmeal until crumbs form. Freeze the crumbs while you make the cake batter, sprinkling them on top just before putting the cake into the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray . Whisk together ricotta and eggs in a large glass measuring cup. Whisk together flour, sugar, oatmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add ricotta mixture and lemon zest to bowl with flour mixture. Stir with a spatula until moistened (it will be lumpy). Stir in butter until incorporated. Stir in blueberries.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top with a spatula. Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center come out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 minutes, invert onto a wire rack, and then turn right side up to cool slightly. Cut into squares and serve warm or let cool completely before cutting into squares and serving.