Savory Swiss Steak
A quick and easy spin on a classic recipe!
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1½ pound round steak
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or bacon drippings
- ½ can beef broth (14½ ounce), add more if necessary
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (14½ ounce)
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix flour with mustard. Sprinkle flour mixture over steak and pound it in with a meat mallet. Cut pounded steak into serving-size pieces.
- Heat oil in a wide, heavy frying pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides.
- Add tomatoes and their liquid, beef broth, onions, Worcestershire to meat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake in a 350°f oven (or bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer) until meat is tender about 1½ hours.