Vegetable and Goat Cheese Strudel
A quick and easy spin on a classic recipe!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup thinly sliced shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup red and/or yellow peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup carrots, chopped
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 4 fresh phyllo pastry sheets frozen or thawed
- ½ cup crumbled soft fresh goat cheese
Ingredients for strudel assembly:
- ½lb. unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup plain bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Herbes de Provence
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Parchment paper
- In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil. Add shallots and carrots to oil and sauté.
- Add garlic and peppers and sauté. Add mushrooms and white wine.
- Sauté mixture until wine is evaporated. Add thyme.
- Set mixture aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a small mixing bowl combine bread crumbs, herbs and parmesan cheese.
- Prepare “Mise en place”* melt butter, bread crumbs mix, and parchment paper.
- Spread one sheet of phyllo dough on top of a clean sheet of parchment paper, brush with butter and sprinkle bread crumb mix on top.
- Top first sheet with a second sheet of phyllo and repeat above step so you will have for complete layers.
- Place ½ cup of mixture onto one edge of the phyllo roll, leaving a ½ inch space from the edge. Add goat cheese.
- Roll up jelly roll style, place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- With a serrated knife, cut into slices and brush the whole strudel with melted butter.
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
*(have everything ready to use)