- 4 tart apples, such as Gala, Granny Smith or Pippin-cored and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 medium red onion, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 1 medium jalapeño chile, minced
- ⅓ cup dried currants (about 2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- ¾ cup fresh orange juice or reconstituted fro9zen
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ cup safflower or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- In a large bowl, combine the apples, red onion, bell pepper, jalapeño chile, dried currants, cilantro, and orange zest.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the orange juice, mustard, and cumin. Process until smooth. With the machine on, gradually add the safflower oil, then the sesame oil, in a very thin stream; the dressing with thicken. Pour the dressing over the apple mixture. Toss gently to combine. Season to taste with salt.
- Cover the salsa and refrigerate for a least 2 and up to 4 hours before serving.