BLT & G(uacamole)
Forget Mayo: The classic bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich gets an unexpected boost here from luscious, spicy guacamole. choose your avocados carefully: look for fruit that gives easily when squeezed lightly (don’t paw the poor things too much, though, or you’ll bruise the flesh).
- 2 large ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 pickled jalapeño chiles, stemmed, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 12 thick-cut bacon slices
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 8 thin slices tomato
- 4 romaine leaves
- Preheat broiler. Mash avocados in medium bowl. Stir in cilantro, jalapeños and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, turning occasionally, about 7 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Meanwhile, lightly toast bread slices on 1 side under broiler. Spread guacamole over untoasted side of each slice while still warm. Place 3 bacon slices on each of 4 bread slices. Top with tomatoes, then lettuce. Place remaining 4 bread slices atop lettuce.