Chocolate Chip and Ginger Heart-Shaped Scones
The perfect Valentine’s Day breakfast, these scones are delicious warm or at room temperature. Diced crystallized ginger adds a bit of spice. Raw sugar can also be called turbinado or demerara sugar.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup diced crystallized ginger
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons chilled heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Whisk first 4 ingredients in large bowl to blend.
- Add butter and rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Stir in chocolate chips and ginger.
- Drizzle 1 cup cream over and toss to form soft dough.
- Gather dough together and transfer to lightly floured work surface. Press out dough to ½-inch thickness.
- Using floured 3-inch heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out scones.
- Gather crapes, pres out dough to ½-inch thickness, and cut out additional scones.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet, spacing evenly apart.
- Brush top of scones lightly with remaining 2 tablespoons cream and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake until scones are golden brown, about 18 minutes.
- Transfer to rack and cool slightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.