Corn and Zucchini Fritters
A fresh and light corn and zucchini dish served on the elegant side!
- 2 ears of corn kernels cut from the cob (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 small zucchini)
- 1 red pepper cut in small dice
- 1 hot or poblano pepper cut in small dice
- 1 small bunch scallions, sliced thinly (white and green parts)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt and lots of fresh black pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour (gluten-free is fine)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- High-heat oil (canola, grapeseed, sunflower, etc.)
- Serve with: 2 large tomatoes, sliced and arugula drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Combine the vegetables, spices and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the four and toss to distribute evenly.
- Add the beaten eggs to the mixture and stir to combine.
- Drizzle a little oil in the pan. Fry the corn mixture about 3 tablespoons at a time scooping a small mound onto the frying pan and flattening it gently with the back of a spoon. Flop the fitters when they’re browned on one side and have begun to firm up (about 5 minutes). Brown the second side, which should take a little less time (about 3 minutes) and move to a large plate lined with paper towels, or a cooling rack.
- While the fritters are browning, slice the tomatoes and place on a bed of arugula on each plate. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grind some fresh black pepper over top. Top with the finished fritters and enjoy.