With its diverse flavors and textures this dish is great all by itself or served as a light dinner with a salad.
- 12 raw shrimp (about 3/4 pound), peeled and chopped
- 1 small chicken breast boned, skinned, and chopped (generous ½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon creole sesoning
- ¼ cup olive oil, in all
- 4 ounces (½ cup) chopped andouille sausage
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¼ cup chopped green bell peppers
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ cup peeled, seeded, and chopped Italian plum tomatoes (about 2)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup basic chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ cups couscous
- In a bowl combine the shrimp, chicken and Creole seasoning and use your hands to blend thoroughly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large nonreactive skillet over high heat. Add the seasoned shrimp and chicken and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the andouille, onions, bell peppers, celery, and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaves, Worcestershire, hot sauce, stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes, stir in the couscous, and turn off the heat. Cover the skillet and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and stir in the remaining olive oil. Serve immediately.