Glazed Lemon Bread
This is a great breakfast or afternoon treat and would make a nice hostess gift too. The lemon glaze soaks into the bread, which becomes very moist. If you want more tartness in the bread, add a little lemon juice (about 2 tablespoons) to the batter and increase the lemon peel to 1 tablespoon.
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups sugar, divided
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp.
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter 8½x4½x2½-inch metal loaf pan. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat 1 cup sugar and butter in large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix in lemon peel. Beat in dry ingredients alternately with milk in 3 additions each. Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center of bread comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile combine remaining ½ cup sugar and lemon juice in heavy small saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Transfer bread in pan to rack. Pierce top of bread all over with wooden skewer. Gradually spoon lemon glaze over hot bread, adding more as glaze is absorbed. Cool lemon bread completely in pan on rack.
Do Ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Turn bread out onto rack, wrap loosely in foil and store at room temperature.