Grilled Hoisin-Soy Steaks with Shiitake and Bok Choy
The perfect recipe for a hot summer evening – steaks, mushrooms and bok choy all go on the grill together.
- 4½ tablespoons mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine) or sweet Sherry
- 1½ teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder or 4 whole star anise, ground
- 3 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ tablespoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 10 to 12 ounce rib-eye steaks
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 baby bok choy, quartered lengthwise
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Combine mirin, five-spice powder, Hoisin sauce, sesame seeds, vinegar, soy sauce and oil in small saucepan; bring to boil, whisking to blend. Cool Sauce.
- Place steaks, mushrooms and bok choy on small rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Pour half of sauce over; turn to coat. Reserve remaining sauce in pan. Grill steaks, mushrooms, and bok choy until meat is medium-rare and vegetables are partially charred, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes for steaks, 8 minutes for mushrooms, and 5 minutes for bok choy. Slice steaks; divide between plates with mushrooms and bok choy. Bring remaining sauce in pan to simmer, drizzle over steaks and vegetables.