Chipotle-Rubbed Steaks with Gorgonzola Toast
The meat gets a kick from crushed chipotle chile pepper and a smoky sweetness from Hungarian sweet paprika. Ciabatta is a rustic oval-shaped Italian bread.
- 4½ Turkish bay leaves
- 1½ tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1½ teaspoons crushed chipotle chile pepper
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 1-inch-thick T-bone or Ribeye steaks (about 1 pound each)
- 1 loaf Ciabatta bread, halved horizontally, each half cut crosswise into eight 5×3- inch slices
- olive oil
- 1 cup creamy Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Finely grind bay leaves, paprika, chipotle and cumin seeds in spice grinder. Reserve 1 teaspoon spice mixture; transfer remaining mixture to plate. Sprinkle steaks generously with salt and pepper. Press both sides of steaks into spice mixture on plate and rub to spread evenly.
- Grill steaks to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to plates; let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- Brush cut sides of bread with oil. Grill bread, cut side down, until slightly charred, about 1 minute. Spread Gorgonzola onto grilled side of each bread slice, then sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and reserved spice mixture. Return bread, cheese side up, to grill. Grill until cheese begins to melt and bottom of bread is slightly charred, about 1 minute. Sprinkle bread with thyme; place 2 slices alongside steak on each plate.