Herb-Breaded Chicken with Creamy Mustard Sauce
This chicken is dipped in buttermilk, dredged in an herbed breading, and baked. The result is a crispy, low-fat alternative to fried chicken. The creamy, sweet -and-sour sauce makes a fine contrast of flavor and texture.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup tarragon, chopped
- ¼ cup basil, chiffonade
- ¼ cup chives, chopped
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 2/3 cup cornflake crumbs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 8 chicken breast, boneless, skinless
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Bring the chicken broth to a simmer
- Combine ¼ cup of the flour with the butter, and mix to form a paste. Whisk the paste into the simmering chicken broth. Allow the mixture to simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the evaporated milk, mustard, honey, and pepper. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the flavors have combined, skimming as necessary. Season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm.
- While the sauce is simmering, combine the parsley, tarragon, basil, and chives in a small bowl. Combine the cornmeal and corn flake crumbs on a sheet of wax paper; add one-half of the herb mixture.
- Whisk the eggs into the buttermilk. Combine the remaining herbs with the buttermilk and transfer to a shallow dish.
- Season the chicken breasts liberally with salt and pepper. Dredge each chicken breast in the remaining flour. Dip each chicken breast into the buttermilk mixture. Coat the chicken on both sides with the cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
- Heat 1½ tablespoons of the oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the chicken in 2 batches, cooking until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes per side. Place the cooked chicken on a baking sheet while sautéing the rest in the remaining oil. Place all of the chicken in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve with the reserved creamy mustard sauce.