Chicken Breasts with Sun-Dried Tomato and Garlic Crust
Here one ingredient does double-duty: oil from a jar of sun-dried tomatoes is used for sautéing the chicken, while the tomatoes are processed with garlic and fresh breadcrumbs for the topping. Orzo with chopped fresh herbs and lemon zest would make a nice side.
- 2cups fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French Bread
- ½cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, 3½ tablespoons oil from jar reserved, divided
- 2large garlic cloves, peeled
- 4large chicken breast halves with skin and bones
- Preheat oven 375°F. Combine breadcrumbs, tomatoes, 2 tablespoons reserved oil, and garlic in processor. Using on/off tums, process until tomatoes are coarsely chopped. Season topping to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Heat remaining 1½ tablespoons reserved oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook until skin is crisp and golden, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken, skin side up, to rimmed baking sheet. Spoon breadcrumb topping atop chicken, pressing to adhere. Bake until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
Better Breadcrumbs to make fresh breadcrumbs, remove the crust from bread and cut the bread into cubes. Working in batches, blend in a food processor to crumbs. For dry breadcrumbs, bake them on a sheet in a 200°F oven until just dry but not browned, about 10 minutes.