Italian Sausage and Red Pepper Tart
A quick and easy spin on a classic recipe!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup red pepper, diced (small chopped)
- ½ cup green pepper, diced (small chopped)
- 1 cup bulk Italian sausage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Pecorino-Romano cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a tart shell, place ready make pie dough (like Pillsbury) and bake at 350°F just until the dough seems to be a very light golden brown. You don’t want to fully bake the shell but want it baked slightly so the custard filling doesn’t turn the dough soggy. Remove shell from oven and allow it to cool.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add sausage and peppers and cook and stir occasionally for 5 minutes or until sausage is cooked. Add garlic and salt and pepper; stir constantly while cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add parsley and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Allow mixture to cool. Spoon mixture into the partially baked tart shell.
- Beat eggs thoroughly with the milk, cream and salt and pepper. Add cheeses and blend well. Pour custard filling over the tart, filling ¾ of the way full.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 10-20 minutes or until set and browned. Custard will be firm and not jiggly.
Note: Using ready made pie dough makes this a simple quick dish for breakfast, lunch, dinner or anytime snack.