Oktoberfest Ribs with Apple Sauerkraut
A natural flavor combination for autumn: ribs, apples, and sauerkraut. This meal-in-a-pot would be nicely accompanied with sliced rye bread and cold beer or iced tea.
- 4 pounds pork spareribs, rimmed to fit into slow cooker, cut in 2-rib portions
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 small red potatoes, sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 1-pound package refrigerated sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 2 small red apples, cored and sliced ¼-inch thick
- ½ cup apple cider
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds, coarsely crushed
- In large nonstick skillet brown ribs in oil over high heat.
- Place in 3½-4 quart slow cooker with potatoes, onion, sauerkraut and apples. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours (or on High for 3-4 hours).