Spice-Rubbed Chicken and Vegetable Tacos w/ Chipotle Cream
This is a wonderful party dish: It comes together quickly and tastes amazing. Look for chipotle chiles canned in a spicy tomato sauce call adobo and smoked paprika here at Miles Farmers Market. Serve the tacos with a cilantro slaw: Toss purchased cole slaw mix with equal parts canola oil and lime juice and add chopped cilantro.
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles (about 2)
- 2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2¼ teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise into ¾-inch-thick strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut lengthwise into ¾-inch-thick strips
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast halves, each halved horizontally
- 12 5-to 6-inch diameter corn tortillas, warmed
- Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Whisk sour cream and chipotle chiles in small bowl; season with salt. Whisk brown sugar and next 4 ingredients in another small bowl to blend for spice rub.
- Place zucchini and bell pepper on rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with canola oil; toss to coat. Sprinkle spice rub over both sides of vegetables and chicken.
- Place chicken and vegetables on barbecue. Grill until vegetables are tender and browned in spots and chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally, about 5 minutes. Transfer to work surface; cut chicken crosswise into ½-inch-thick strips. Cut vegetables crosswise into ¾-inch pieces. Place chicken and vegetables in large bowl; toss to blend.
- Place chicken and vegetables, chipotle cream, and tortillas on table. Allow guests to assemble their own soft tacos.
Note: This spice rub is a kind of “instant” alternative to a marinade, adding a burst of flavor very quickly. If you don’t have time to make the rub here, purchase one of our spice blends; look for those that don’t contain a lot of salt or monosodium glutamate.