Blackberry and Apple Crisp Crumb Topping
Apples and Blackberries go together beautifully – tart, sweet, and ripe all mixed up in one mouthful.
- 3 cups blackberries, preferably wild
- 4 baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Crumb topping (**see below)
- Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream for serving
Crumb Topping: (makes about 1½ cups)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces and slightly softened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put the berries in a bowl, discarding any that are damaged or under ripe. Add the apples, lemon juice, sugar, and butter and toss until well combined. Transfer to a 1½ to 2 quart baking dish or shallow casserole. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the topping is crisp and golden and the filling is bubbling. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Serve the crisp warm with sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well with your fingertips, crumbling any lumps. Work the mixture gently until it resembles coarse crumbs. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to use.