Braised Veal Pot Roast (Round Bone or Blade Bone)
If desired, roasting root vegetables are a good accompaniment to this entrée.
(Carrots, rutabaga, Parsnips, Turnips, Beets and Cipollini onions)
- 2 to 2½ pounds Veal Pot Roast
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup cubed onions
- 1 cup cubed celery
- 1 cup cubed carrots
- ½ cup Burgundy wine
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 tablepoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup arrow root
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon tabsco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Rub veal with half the olive oil, season both sides of the veal with salt, pepper, garlic, thyme and rosemary.
- Add remaining olive oil in a sauté pan and brown veal on both sides, golden brown.
- Sauté all the vegetables in the same veal pan for 3 to 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Bring beef stock, Burgundy wine, and tomato paste to a boil.
- Mix arrow root and water together and add it to the boiling beef mixture to thicken.
- Combine the veal, vegetables and thickened beef sauce in a Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil – cook in 350°F oven for 2 to 2½ hours or until veal is fork tender.
- Let veal pot roast rest for 20 minutes before carving. (Slice against the grain)
- You may strain the veal sauce – taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.