Cheddar Cheese-Stuffed Burgers
Who says the cheese has to be on the outside of a burger? Here, grated cheddar is stuffed inside the ground beef before the burgers hit the grill. English muffins make a fun alternative to regular buns.
- 10 ounces ground sirloin or lean ground beef
- ⅓ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup (packed) coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 2-ounces)
- 2 large (about 4-inch-diameter) English muffins, split horizontally
- Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Combine first 6 ingredients in medium bowl; blend well.
- Divide meat mixture into 2 equal portions. Shape each into ball. Poke deep hole in each ball and fill each with half of cheese.
- Mold meat around cheese to enclose. Flatten each filled burger to ¾-inch-thick patty.
- Grill muffin haves until beginning to color, about 1 minute per side; transfer to work surface, cut side up.
- Grill burgers to desired doneness, about 5 minutes per side for medium. Place burger on muffin bottoms. Cover with tops.
Note: This recipe uses large English muffins instead of hamburger buns, but there’s no need to stop there. Focaccia, ciabatta, pita bread, dinner rolls, and even thick slices of rustic bread would be great alternatives to the traditional bun.