Corn Bread Stuffing
Loosed your belt a few notches for this classic dish—with apples!
- ½ stick butter
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and cubed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ pound loose Italian sausage (optional)
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 6 large cornbread muffins, torn into bite-size pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup light cream
- ¼ cup chicken stock
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat and toss in apple cubes. Cook for about 2 minutes to add a little bit of color, then set aside.
- In the same pan, add the olive oil, rosemary, and sausage, if desired. Cook until lightly browned, then add the onions: cook for 10 minutes or until golden. Scrape into a large bowl: add the apples and cornbread. Season with salt and pepper: toss to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, cream, and chicken stock: pour over cornbread. Stir stuffing, season with salt and pepper, and bake inside turkey or in a gratin dish as dressing. (For dressing, bake in a 375°F oven for 30 to 40 minutes)