Easy Pot Roast
As easy as it gets! A pot roast recipe that’ll keep you craving more!
- 3½-pound English roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Season roast heavily with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Sear roast for a couple minutes on each side over medium-high heat. The roast should be nicely browned on all sides. Transfer roast to large plate.
- Add onion and garlic to the pot, stirring over medium heat until onions are soft. Stir in flour and tomato paste followed by broth. Stir and scrape seared bits from bottom of pot. Add roast back to pot and add water as needed to come halfway up the roast. Cover tightly and place in oven. (Optional: use a slow cooker instead of the oven. Sear beef in heavy bottom sauté pan, follow instructions above then transfer to slow cooker, low for 5 to 6 hours until tender.)
- Cook for 2 hours, turn and cook approximately one more hour, until completely tender.
- Transfer roast to cutting board and tent with foil. Using a ladle, skim fat from liquid in Dutch oven. Place Dutch oven on stovetop over medium heat and reduce liquid by half.
- Slice roast against the grain or pull in bite-size pieces. Serve with reduced sauce.