Classic Pot Roast
Back to the basics—and favorites—with this classic recipe, like mom used to make!
- 1 4-pound chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut in large pieces
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut in chunks
- 3 stalks celery, cut in chunks
- 4 springs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 3 cups red wine
- 4 cups beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 175°F.
- Preheat heavy bottom pan on stovetop at medium-high heat. Season roast with freshly ground black pepper. Add oil to pan until hot.
- Add roast and sear on all sides; remove from pan. Add onion, carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns to pan; allow vegetables to caramelize.
- Add tomato paste and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Deglaze pan with red wine and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add roast back to pan and add beef stock. Place pan in oven or transfer all ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Braise for approximately 6 hours, until fork tender.