Braised Pot Roast with Root Vegetables
- 1 (2½)-pound Angus beef English roast
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 medium Yukon gold potatoes, peeled & quartered
- 2 parsnips, peeled & chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled & chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 10 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 can cream of chicken and mushroom soup
- 32 ounces beef broth
- Water to cover
- 1 apple, quartered & cored
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Heat oil in large roasting pan over high heat. Season roast with salt and pepper. Brown roast on all sides and remove from pan.
- Add potatoes, parsnips, carrots, onion, celery, squash, mushrooms, sage, oregano, bay leaves and pepper; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add honey and wine: reduce by half. Return roast to pan, add soup, beef broth, water and apple. Bring to a low simmer.
- Place in oven and cook for 4 hours, until fork tender. Remove roast and strained vegetables from pan. Cook remaining liquid over high heat to thicken, stirring occasionally
- Serve sauce over roast and vegetables.