Hungarian Beef Goulash
The best and easiest Hungarian Beef Goulash you’ll ever make—and eat!
- 3 pounds boneless short ribs cut into 1 by 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound onions, cubed
- 2 ounce vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1½ quarts beef stock
- Season the boneless short ribs with salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of paprika and mix thoroughly in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven until it starts smoking (be careful) gently add the meat to the oil and brown meat, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic to the meat mixture and lightly brown the onions.
- Add the beef stock, tomato paste, red wine, last tablespoon paprika, Worcestershire and Tabasco, bring mixture to a boil, cover and bake in 350°F oven for approximately 1¼ to 1½ hours or until meat is tender.
- To thicken goulash, add 2 tablespoons of arrowroot to 2 tablespoons of water mix thoroughly and add it to the goulash.
- Bring goulash to a boil and taste, adjust the seasoning if necessary.