Penne Pasta with Spicy Tomato & Eggplant Sauce
The best and easiest Penne Pasta with Spicy Tomato & Eggplant Sauce you’ll ever make—and eat!
- 1 pound dried penne pasta
- Salt for pasta water
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 long eggplant, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes (more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 2 pounds fresh roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Boil water in a large stock pot to cook pasta. Add enough salt to the water to make it taste like salt water “salt like the sea”.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- While heating water and cooking pasta, heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and eggplant, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Cook for 5-8 minutes. Add fresh tomatoes and garlic. Add tomato sauce. Cook on high heat to reduce. Cook sauce until it thickens, approximately 10-12 minutes. Add fresh basil and olives to the sauce. Salt to taste.
- Drain pasta from water and mix together pasta and sauce thoroughly.
- Plate each dish and sprinkle generously with cheese. Serve immediately