Sautéed Shrimp with Penne Pasta and Puttanesca Sauce
Puttanesca is an Italian sauce that sometimes includes tomatoes, onions, capers, olives and anchovies and is generally served with pasta. This version adds delicious sautéed shrimp for a quick and easy, yet hearty, pasta dish.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, canned
- 3 tablespoons Niçoise olives, pitted, chopped
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled, deveined (31-40 count)
- Parmesan cheese, grated, to taste (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large sauté pan over low heat; add 2 teaspoon of garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, olives, capers, ¼ cup of parsley, and the red pepper flakes. Increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened, about 10 minutes. Set the sauce aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in the boiling water until tender to the bite, approximately 10-12 minutes, Drain well.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the reserved garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the shrimp and the remaining parsley, sauté for 1-2 minutes and add the tomato sauce. Cook the shrimp for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until opaque in the center.
- Add the sauce and shrimp mixture to the drained pasta and top with grated cheese if desired.