South-of-the-Border Coleslaw with Cilantro and Jalapeño
Here’s the perfect side dish for a meal of grilled spice-rubbed steak, chicken, or fish. Depending on the size of the chile and the conditions in which it has been grown, one jalapeño can vary widely from another in the amount of heat it packs. Taste a tiny bit of the chile before using. If it seems really spicy, you may want to use less. For more punch, leave in the seeds and ribs or add another chile.
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about ½ large head)
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño chile, seeded, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Combine cabbage, bell pepper, cilantro, and jalapeño in large bowl; toss to blend.
- Whisk oil, lime juice and cumin in small bowl to blend.
- Pour dressing over cabbage mixture.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Do ahead: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and chill. Toss before serving.