Warm Spinach, Mushrooms and Goat Cheese Salad
Applewood-smoked bacon would be especially delicious in this salad. Or, for an Italian touch, substitute an equal amount of pancetta (Italian Bacon).
- 6 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 12 ounces crimini (baby bella) mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 1 10-ounce bag spinach leaves
- 1/2 medium red onion, cut into paper-thin slices
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces chilled soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add bell pepper to drippings in skillet; sauté 2 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer bell pepper to large bowl. Add mushrooms to same skillet and sauté until tender and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to bowl with bell pepper and reserve skillet. Add spinach and onion to same bowl.
- Add oil, vinegar and sugar to reserved skillet; bring to boil, whisking until sugar dissolves.
- Season dressing salt and pepper. Toss salad with enough warm dressing from skillet to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper. Divide salad among plates. Sprinkle with goat cheese.