Asparagus and Seared Shrimp with Lemon Pepper Vinaigrette
Here’s an unusual combination for a salad, one that’s hearty enough to be the meal itself. It’s easy to put together, but there is one rule you must follow. Use only fresh asparagus and shrimp.
- 1 cup Lemon Pepper Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- 16 large shrimp, peeled except for the tails
- 2 teaspoons Creole Seasoning
- 4 cups assorted greens (Bibb, Mache, Frisee, Arugula, Watercress, Radicchio or other salad greens)
- 16 spears large fresh asparagus, peeled and blanched
- Prepare the Lemon Pepper Vinaigrette, and set aside.
- Toss the shrimp in a bowl with the Creole Seasoning. Heat a large heavy dry skillet over high heat. When the skillet is hot, add the shrimp and sear them for 3 minutes on each side.
- To serve, mound 1 cup of the greens on each plate and fan 4 asparagus spears from the center. Spoon ¼ cup of the Lemon Pepper Vinaigrette in 1 tablespoon pools between the asparagus. Using 4 shrimp per plate, place 1 on each pool between the asparagus spokes.
Lemon Pepper Vinaigrette:
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Combine the egg, lemon juice, parsley, peppercorns, mustard, and salt in a food processor and turn on the machine. Slowly stream in the oil and continue to process until the mixture becomes a smooth emulsion. Serve immediately.