Crispy Trout with Wilted Watercress
This simply seasoned dish can be paired with a rich side, such as creamy mashed potatoes or risotto. Pass lemon wedges to squeeze over fish
- ⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 boneless trout fillet halves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed
- Combine first 4 ingredients in shallow dish. Moisten trout with cold water and dip into cornmeal mixture, turning to coat.
- Melt butter with 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add trout, skin side down, and cook until coating is brown, about 3 minutes. Turn trout over; cook just until opaque in center, about 2 minutes. Transfer trout to platter (do not clean skillet).
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and lemon juice to same skillet, stirring to scrape up browned bits. Add watercress and cook until barely wilted, tossing with pan drippings, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top trout fillets with watercress.