Grilled Brats with Onion Relish
Bratwursts get dressed up with this sweet onion relish. The onion relish can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to serve.
- 4 bratwurst, uncooked
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, Sliced
- 1 12-ounce can beer
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup bread and butter pickles
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
- In large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat and add onion. Sauté, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add beer and brown sugar and cook over medium high heat until liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Continue cooking until the onion turns a golden brown, stirring constantly. Stir in bacon, pickles and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare a medium hot fire in grill. Grill bratwurst directly over heat, turning, until evenly browned, about 5-7 minutes and to an internal temperature of 160°F. Remove from grill and top with onion relish.
Note: The onion relish can be made ahead and reheated. Store it in the refrigerator. Serve it warm or at room temperature.