Apple Sweet and Sour Brats
Use your favorite bratwurst and serve with fresh buns. Serve with German Potato Salad and seasonal fruit.
- 12 bratwurst
- 1 32-ounce jar sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 cup applesauce
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large apple, cored and cubed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, simmer sauerkraut with applesauce and apple juice for 20 minutes.
- In a large deep skillet, heat butter over medium heat; add onions and sauté, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 10 minutes. Add brown sugar, and cook for 5 more minutes. The onions should be caramelized. Add apple pieces and sauté for 5 more minutes until apples are just tender. Add to sauerkraut along with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in grill. Grill bratwurst directly over fire, turning, until evenly browned, about 5-7 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Remove bratwurst from grill and serve with sauerkraut.