Iceberg Wedges with Warm Bacon and Blue Cheese Dressing
Shedding its retro reputation, iceberg lettuce makes a delicious comeback in this classic salad. Warm, thickly sliced crisp bacon adds the crowning touch.
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons coarsely cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 cup coarsely crumbled blue cheese
- Buttermilk (optional)
- ½ pound thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large head of iceberg lettuce, cut into 6 wedges, each with some core attached
- ½ red onion, very thinly sliced
- Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl. Add blue cheese and stir until well blended. Thin dressing with buttermilk by tablespoonfuls, if desired.
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until golden brown and beginning to crisp. Arrange lettuce on plates. Spoon dressing over. Using slotted spoon, transfer warm bacon from skillet onto salads, dividing equally . Garish with red onion.
Do Ahead: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.