Lamb Chops with Herbed Sweet Onion Compote
This elegant dish is perfect for weeknight entertaining. There are many different kinds of herbed white wine vinegars to use in the compote; choose your favorite. Use Maui, Oso Sweet, Texas Sweet, Sweet Imperial, or Walla Walla onions, all of which are much sweeter than your standard yellow, red or white onions.
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped.
- 8 lamb loin chops (about 1½ pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion (such as Vidalia), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons herbed white wine vinegar
- Mix mint, oregano and garlic in small bowl. Sprinkle lamb generously with salt and coarsely ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons herb mixture over lamb chops; press to adhere (reserve remaining herb mixture for compote).
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add lamb and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium.
- Transfer Lamb to platter (do not clean skillet). Tent lamb with foil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to skillet.
- Add onion and sauté until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add vinegar and reserved herb mixture; sauté 1 minute.
- Season compote to taste with salt and pepper Spoon compote over lamb.