Spiralized Beet Salad with Ricotta Salata and Pistachios
This salad uses a spiralizer to create beautiful tendrils of earthy red and yellow beets, then adds tangy ricotta salata, toasted pistachios and a citrusy vinaigrette. Best of all, it can be made ahead: prepare the dressing the day before, then marinate the raw beets two hours before guests arrive for a stress-free salad that wills stay fresh and crisp for hours.
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium red beets, peeled and spiralized
- 2 medium golden beets, peeled and spiralized
- ¼ cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup parsley leaves
- 2 ounces ricotta salata, crumbled
- ¼ cup toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, Dijon and shallot. Slowly whisk in the olive oil until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the salad: Place the red beets in one medium bowl and the golden beets in another. Toss each with half of the dressing and let marinate for at least 30 minutes. Divide the mint and parsley leaves between the bowls and toss to incorporate. Transfer to a platter, layering the red and golden beet mixtures together. Garnish with the crumbled ricotta salata and chopped pistachios, then serve.