Sweet and Sour Pot Roast
A quick and easy spin on a classic recipe!
- 1 3-pound English or chuck arm roast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in ¼ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Season roast with salt and pepper.
- Brown on all side in hot oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Place browned roast on a rack in a Dutch oven or in a roasting pan with a tight-fitting lid. Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and garlic salt and pour over roast. Cover tightly.
- Braise in the oven for 60 to 70 minutes (to medium doneness) or until fork tender.
- Remove roast from oven and tent with foil to keep warm. On top of range, bring liquid in pan to a boil. Add cornstarch mixture and simmer for two minutes or until sauce thickens. Slice meat and serve with sauce. (Great with wild rice.)