Mixed Greens with Roasted Beets, Fennel and Marinated Red Onions
A quick and easy spin on a classic recipe!
- 4 small beets, tops trimmed
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh fennel fronds (leafy tops) plus 2 medium fennel bulbs, halved, cored, very thinly sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 2 five ounce bags mixed baby greens
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Rinse each beet and wrap in foil. Place on oven rack and roast until tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Cool beets. Peel; cut beets into wedges.
- Whisk oil, vinegar and chopped fennel fronds in medium bowl to blend. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Mix onions into dressing.
- Mix baby greens and sliced fennel in bowl. Add beets. Using slotted spoon, transfer onions from dressing to salad. Toss salad with enough dressing to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper.
Do Ahead: To make this salad come together even more quickly, roast the beets and marinate the onions a day ahead. Cover separately; chill.