Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
This salad, with its Pennsylvania Dutch-inspired sweet and sour dressing, is assembled very quickly. Use the largest skillet you have to hold the spinach easily, or a wok. If necessary, cook it in two batches.
- 4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 (10oz) bags spinach, or 1½ pounds loose leaf spinach
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or walnut oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1 orange, peeled and thinly sliced
- Whisk together 2 tablespoons of the sherry vinegar and salt and pepper to taste, add the mushrooms, and set aside to marinate.
- Rinse the spinach well to remove all sand, remove stems, and dry well.
- Heat the oil, remaining vinegar, honey, poppy seeds, and salt and pepper in a large skillet over medium heat until very warm, but not boiling.
- Add the spinach all at once and toss just until the leaves wilt very slightly.
- Transfer the spinach mixture to a serving bowl, or individual plates. Top with the mushrooms and arrange the sliced orange around the salad.
Variations: Add diced cooked bacon, croutons, or slivered carrots.
Serving Suggestions: This is a fine choice to accompany grilled or sautéed fish or chicken, and could be used as a bed beneath grilled fish or chicken or as a side dish.