Feta, Garbanzo Bean and Eggplant Pita Sandwiches
This sandwich filling would also make a delicious side dish. Try it with grilled lamb.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Japanese eggplants, unpeeled, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 1½ cups chopped onion
- 1 15- to 16-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained, ½ cup juices reserved
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, divided
- 5 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 3 6-inch diameter pita breads, warmed in oven or toasted
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant cubes and onion; sauté until soft and beginning to brown, about 9 minutes. Stir in garbanzo beans, cumin, and lemon juice. Sauté until heated through and flavors blend, adding reserved garbanzo bean liquid by tablespoonfuls to moisten if mixture is dry, about 4 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons mint and 3 tablespoons feta cheese. Season filling generously with salt and pepper.
- Cut pita breads crosswise in half and gently pull open. Spoon in eggplant filling. Sprinkle filling with remaining mint and feta.