Avocado Grapefruit Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Tart, lightly perfumed pomegranate molasses is available from Middle Eastern grocery stores.
- 1 quart vegetable oil, for frying
- 20 medium shallots (1½ pounds), thinly sliced
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 ruby red grapefruits
- ¼cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pomegranate molasses, plus more for drizzling
- 1tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 16 cups loosely packed baby lettuces, such as arugula, frisee and radicchio
- 2 hass avocados, each cut into 15 wedges
- 3 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil to 300°F over moderately high heat; alternatively, test the oil by adding a small bread cube-the bread should turn light brown in 1 minute’s. Toss the shallots with the flour until they are completely coated, shaking off the excess. Fry the shallots in batches until they are golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shallots paper towels to drain.
- Using a sharp knife, peel the grapefruits, removing all the bitter white pith. Cut Between the membranes to release the sections. In a small glass or stainless steel bowl, combine the olive oil with the ¼ cup of pomegranate molasses, the vinegar, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- In a large glass or stainless steel bowl, toss the lettuces with 1/3 cup of the pomegranate dressing and mound them on a large serving platter. Put the avocado wedges and the grapefruit sections in the bowl, season with a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper and toss with the remaining pomegranate dressing. Arrange the avocado and grapefruit mixture over the lettuces and garnish the salad with the pomegranate seeds. Drizzle a little pomegranate molasses around the edge of the serving platter and then top the salad with the fried shallots.